Okay, Tomahawk has been around since the seventies, so it’s not exactly a maiden voyage. But it was for us!
On Monday, we got our informal sailing teacher Steve to help us haul up the anchor, get the engine going, and go for a little ride. Our False Creek permit expires tomorrow, so we had to find a new place to keep the boat until we can get a new one.
Jason and I got to the boat at noon and cleaned off some more bird poop. Unfortunately, it hadn’t rained enough to have any cleansing impact on the sail cover. I did the dirty work this time, since he did it last time. We sacrificed one of the SOS pads left on the boat by Danny. We were contemplating taking the sail cover home to stick in the wash, but we’ll have to work out the logistics of that. Don’t really want to leave the sail uncovered, especially if the diarrhea bird decides to come back!
Anyway, Steve checked our oil and spark plugs, which all looked fine. The oil wasn’t completely black, he said, which means it needs to be changed soon. We’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t change oil myself, but I helped someone do it for their car once. So I know it’s a pretty simple task, really.
Steve took us to Granville Island, where we loaded up our jerry cans with gas. It cost less than $40 and we expect that to last us several months, especially if we use the boat as little as we are now. With the weather getting worse, that seems pretty likely.
After gassing up, we headed to our new anchorage, which is much less sheltered than False Creek. Steve refers to it as the Pirate Bay, so we’ll call it that. A few other boats were anchored in the area and we had to squeeze in between them. Our anchor weighs a ton, probably way more than necessary to hold the boat in place, which is good. Instead of the recommended 5:1 ratio of rode to water depth, we ended up with about 2.5:1 to keep our swing radius to a minimum (as explained in this post on anchoring technique). I’m hoping it’s fine, but Steve texted me today that we should expect a small craft warning for Saturday. That means high winds potentially strong enough to push Tomahawk onto the beach or into another boat. We don’t want either scenario.
If we do have to move the boat, we have a problem arising from our ongoing work scheduling conflict. Jason works days and times when I don’t and vice versa. On both Friday and Saturday, for example, I work 10 to 6 and he works 4 to midnight. So yeah. We’ll see. Maybe Steve will move it with one of us as crew.
Meanwhile, we have yet to put up the sails. Our trip from False Creek to the Pirate Bay was done entirely under engine power. That’s because you’re not allowed to put up your sails in the creek, from what I understand.
Hopefully next time, we can finally catch some wind.
Tomahawk in False Creek